Starting a war
A war can be started in three ways:
- by declaring it to another bordering country;
- by airstriking another not bordering country;
- by setting another bordering country as a natural enemy.
Please note: countries having an active mutual protection pact cannot declare war to or airstrike each other, but they can set each other as the natural enemy.
When declaring war, the initiator must pay gold depending on its population.
Airstrike has a certain variable cost in Energy and currency.
If a country is set as a natural enemy, neither gold or currency will be charged to start a war.
When a new war is being started, the initiator of the war will hold initiative, which means they can decide which enemy region to attack. While holding initiative, they cannot be attacked by the opposing country in this war. They will keep the initiative as long as they keep winning battles and thus conquering enemy regions. At the moment the first battle is lost, the initiative will change: now the enemy will be able to counter attack.
But the initiative cannot be held forever: presidents will have 24 hours to decide which region to attack. Once they do, the battle will be started immediately, else, at the end of the 24 hours time, a battle will be automatically started in one of the attackable regions. Also, there will be just one battle at a time, so no other regions can be attacked while a battle is still in progress.
No gold is needed for attacking.
A region that already has an active battle can't be attacked. However, that attack can be put to an invader queue.
- A battle will start after the battles in the region are over AND the region don't change ownership during battles before the attack;
- If after the battle has started the attacker loses its border with the attacked region, the campaign will not be stopped.
Wars have campaigns in which two countries and possibly their allies fight for a region: one defends it and others try to conquer it. Campaigns have several rounds that are referred to as battles. In each battle, divisions fight. Each division fights their own "mini-battle" (round), separate from each other.
Campaigns are fights over a region. Campaigns last from 12 hours to 28 hours depending on how many battles are needed to get enough points to win the campaign. The winner of a campaign is the side which first wins 94 points in total and will get to attack next in the war. Each division is worth a different amount of points, it is scored as follows:
Every campaign has 8-17 mini-battles (rounds) which last from 1.5 hours to 2 hours depending on how dominant one combatant is.
- Notes: - the battle is automatically closed after 2 hours, even if the sides don't reach 1800 points.
- - the battle is automatically closed when a peace law is approved between 2 countries involved in a direct war.
The winner of each divisional battle is the side that first reaches over 1800 domination points, or the one who has more points after 2 hours of battle. Every minute one side has over 50% control will award the side with X number of points where X is:
- 0-30 minutes into the battle, 10 points at every minute;
- 31-60 minutes into the battle, 20 points at every minute;
- 61-90 minutes into the battle; 30 points at every minute;
- 91-120 minutes into the battle, 60 points at every minute.
In order for a ground division round to end, every division needs one side to reach 1800 points. If one ground division finishes before the rest they must wait until all ground divisional mini-battles are finished before the next round can begin. This way all ground divisions start at the same time each mini-battle.
- If both countries have 1800 points at the end (division is tied), the defender will be declared as the winner.
- When the dominance of both sides is exactly 50-50, the relative points are credited to the defender.
Battle hero achievements are awarded in every battle to 8 soldiers: One to each citizen with the highest influence in their separate ground division, on both sides. If 2 citizens deal the same influence, the citizen with the higher XP will receive the Battle Hero medal.
The amount of gold received through the Battle Hero medal varies by division.
Determination in battles
Since eRepublik's 6th Anniversary, on Day 2192, when a region is kept under foreign occupation, the people’s determination to overthrow the oppressors increases over time. This leads to a Determination Bonus that multiplies the influence in battles against the oppressor.
Ending a war
There are also 2 ways to end a war:
- signing a peace treaty
- having no more common borders, when no campaign (resistance campaigns excluded) in that war is active.
If the two countries no longer share a common border, the Natural Enemy is cancelled.
The war list is a list of all active wars.
You can see the details of war by clicking "Details" button in the war list at the military tab of the country page. The results will tell you:
- The names of the attacker, the defender and their allies
Upon clicking the details button, the list for the war will be extended and include additional information:
- How long the war has been active
- All region battles
- Currently active battles with the date and time when the battle started. A join button will be displayed here.
- Results of ended battles
The number of allies is shown under each country, and by hovering over the number, you can view the names of the allies.
For closed war, a message This war is no longer active will appear.
What happens when a region is conquered?
- the region will belong to the victorious country;
- if it's the last region of the defending country
- all citizens will become residents of the occupying country (citizenship won't be changed);
- all the wars that the defending country have are over;
- companies in that country will not move to the conqueror;
- if it's election day and the voting or vote checking is still going:
- for congressional elections: new congress won't be chosen (no congress at all);
- if it's not the last region then:
- citizens who are born to the conquered region will receive citizenship of the original owner