AUGUST VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
To the wiki community,
Are you looking to get more involved in the wiki? Are you looking to improve your wiki editing, writing, and/or coding skills? Are you looking to pick up some extra gold? Below is a list of tasks and ongoing projects that require help from the wiki community. EREPUBLIK NEEDS YOU!
- Need your thoughts about navigation templates, see Let's Talk About Templates below.
- Need thoughts about template redesign and people with the energy and know how that are willing to refurbish templates for the entire wiki, see eRepublik:Bar/Debate 9
- Identify more Uber Editors and Sysops
All pages regarding the entity United Netherlands need to be revised to reflect wiki standards of the precedence of merging countries. All pages for Netherlands, United Netherlands, and Belgium need to be updated.
- Create redirects between city names and regions
Add Integration links to regions of <s>Spain, Sweden, USA no need these links will be removed when we get new region template
- Work on adding newspaper articles from the game to the wiki (see User:Belea2008 for the list and guidance)
- Wrap up these "Current Event" articles Category:Current_events
- Join the project to organize and update the military aspects of the wiki eRepublik:WikiProject Military, see more info below Military Activation
Anyone is free to tackle any of these projects. Feel free to ask any questions here. Gold will be paid out to the people that take on the most labor intensive tasks, who put in a lot of work and effort, and who do a THOROUGH job. We can always see what you have done by looking at your user contributions.
--QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 13:34, 31 July 2009 (UTC)
- I was making lonely pages "less lonely" and noticed there are many old region pages there waiting to be deleted. I'm sure you're aware of that but I still made this list to help you out a little. They're easier to find there than they are in the orphaned pages list don't you think? -- Kuhaa|Talk to me 17:00, 1 August 2009 (UTC)
- They are all in the articles to be deleted category. Another sysop or I will attend to it. --QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 22:17, 1 August 2009 (UTC)
Let's Talk About Templates
... I don't mean the common templates. I want to talk about some of the other templates. In my opinion, too many templates are being created. I do not see the utility in what I call "navigation templates" for regions, people, or parties of a particular country. This information can be found just as easily by clicking the CATEGORY that is automatically added to the bottom of the page. To see what I mean look at the bottom of this region page Shannon and one for parties at the bottom of the page Czech Right Union. Though I appreciate the boldness and enthusiasm that some people are showing, it is getting a bit ridiculous. Our energies should be put into something that isn't duplicating effort or functionality.
I want to know, are these navigation templates REALLY helpful to users? Remember these are duplicate efforts of the categories, and become outdated quickly.
PS.. If it means we do more with categories then that is fine too. --QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 13:34, 31 July 2009 (UTC)
- I agree, they are unnecessary. The ideal is either a regional category or a navigation box, not both. And since most editors are forbidden to work on templates, it is possible they become outdated quickly. Therefore I see the category option as the only viable solution. ~Rep Yell 20:33, 7 August 2009 (UTC)
Since the start of the Third World War (as most call it), there has been a renewed interest in the Military side of eRepublik. We editors need somewhere to create guidelines and coordinate recordings of military affairs. Therefore, and without further ado, I have opened the first eRepublik Wiki Project: WikiProject Military
. Obviously it is still very new, however all are welcome to join in the Project. You could get a cool badge!
Anyway, I have a list of issues that should be solved on the talk page, feel free to join in. Once these are up I am going to advertise in the Game forums for anyone who could participate. Feel free to recruit as many skilled editors as possible, you can sign up in this page: eRepublik:WikiProject Military/Members. Thank you. --Martin23230 10:07, 30 July 2009 (UTC)
- That is one sexy logo... Will this project also take up the work that has been started on Portal:Military? Also, you should provide your input on Template talk:Infobox military unit and if we need to change the template for wars or alliances too, we can discuss that too. --QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 13:34, 31 July 2009 (UTC)
Greetings, for I have returned.
Quick question - why do all the templates appear to be locked? I've recently returned and decided to update some stuff on the wiki, but some old UK templates that I created a long time ago are now locked and unchangeable! I can't find any explanation in the Bar archives, so can someone please enlighten me?
Paddyohale Feedback? 23:19, 3 August 2009 (UTC)
- eRepublik:Bar/July2009#Template_Namespace_Lockdown. Let me know what you want changed and I should be able to edit them. I'm pretty sure I'm an Engineer. —Nicolae Carpathia | | Talk 00:32, 4 August 2009 (UTC)
Old eRepublik links
As I am going on a longer Summer break, I have dig up another problem. Is there any chance to find out the new links of the old eRepublik links? For example, where should this link point: http://www.erepublik.com/press_release-12321.html
Thank you for your answer --AndyCro Click here to talk with me baby! ;) 21:56, 4 August 2009 (UTC)
- http://press.erepublik.com/ - I do not know which one of them is the release you linked above. --Belea2008 12:22, 5 August 2009 (UTC)
- Belea, he's talking about the old beta-era Press Releases which were a special type of article published by the Party President of a Party on that party's eRepublik page. They don't exist in V1 and they weren't official eRepublik PRs. —Nicolae Carpathia | | Talk 07:02, 6 August 2009 (UTC)
- Thank you Nicolae, I was thinking on Party Presidents PRs. I have manage to find some re-posts, but I still can't find the original articles, I hope that there are moved somewhere. :( --AndyCro Click here to talk with me baby! ;) 10:32, 6 August 2009 (UTC)
- Ah, I have them. Also, miniBill and QJ received them at one point. For example, the one linked above is: The_Unity_Party/Articles/Manifesto_March_2008. Note: The article was written here, but it was moved to this location later by: --AndyCro Click here to talk with me baby! ;) 17:03, 6 August 2009 (UTC)
- They are no longer online.--Belea2008 10:48, 6 August 2009 (UTC)
- Thank you Belea. :) Did you ever consider that some of them should be published on wiki? I would like to start on that project, if you are willing to send me all this info to my mail and explain me how did you store them, etc. What do you think? --AndyCro Click here to talk with me baby! ;) 11:40, 6 August 2009 (UTC)
- Wow, thanks for that nonsensical load in the bar, couldn't this have been posted somewhere else? Anyway, I didn't have the programming-fu to open the files. Most links to Beta articles no longer work because the URLs changed. I would consider making those links work more important than old press releases from a year ago.--QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 14:06, 6 August 2009 (UTC)
- Belea said that this PRs are not online any more, so the links can't work at all. --AndyCro Click here to talk with me baby! ;) 15:10, 6 August 2009 (UTC)
- Since this discussion has been started, Nicolae had an idea to create a new namespace called "Source" in which we include "references": press releases, articles, forum topics, IRC discussions, etc. Basically, "important" conversation or information that was, is or will be used as a reference in the Wiki. I think his main idea is that a reader does not leave the wiki in order to read references. The main challenge is that he (we) will need someone experienced in handling programming stuff and a Wiki bot (for massive adding of pages in that namespace or for handling massive wall-of-text format of entries) (i fetched that press release from an sql thingy). I'll let Nicolae explain more about the idea! --Belea2008 20:25, 6 August 2009 (UTC)
I started it out, but I really can't see the use in having it. If anyone wants to take the reigns from here, be my guest. -- Mr. Awesome | Talk | 18:06, 7 August 2009 (UTC)
- Instead of this why don't we make it about country pages and address these issues:
- Format of the country page (standardize across the entire wiki)
- Naming conventions of related pages (congresses, history, armed forces)
- Creating appropriate tables (not country specific templates for every damn thing)
- Making things pretty
I know this is my suggestion, but I simply have too many things going on now. --QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 11:56, 9 August 2009 (UTC)
- List of Congressmen I think does a good job of unifying how each country would display congressmen each month. -- Mr. Awesome | Talk | 18:19, 10 August 2009 (UTC)
- I disagree... too many pages, too many divisions among regions and parties, and no categories. --QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 19:42, 10 August 2009 (UTC)
- I am actually doing away with the regions subsection (and possibly the parties subsection as well). Most countries have "Congressmen of <name>" pages anyway and the sortable option makes it easy enough. I do think some parties would still want the option to have personal tables of their congressmen though. -- Mr. Awesome | Talk | 20:02, 10 August 2009 (UTC)
- As long as the list is sortable, you can always, copy the table and remove what you don't want or just refer back to the table. There is no sense of having the same information in more than one place. --QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 20:14, 10 August 2009 (UTC)
- Take a look at the regions of Australia pages. Isn't it nice to have the current congressmen listed there? I'm also going to update the party pages with the current congressmen. It's a really professional and organized look for the cost of a few pages. -- Mr. Awesome | Talk | 14:50, 14 August 2009 (UTC)
- I see it as a lot of updating for little return. There is no way that we can keep the 600+ region pages in this game updated on a monthly basis. Considering the congressional representatives for each region really have nothing to do with the region. If the game worked differently where being elected from a region meant something then it would matter. I just think a link to the list is sufficient. --QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 15:05, 14 August 2009 (UTC)
On my way to the mountains. See you all in one week! --Belea2008 08:45, 11 August 2009 (UTC)
- Be aware of the bears! :P --AndyCro Click here to talk with me baby! ;) 22:12, 12 August 2009 (UTC)
I am also going to "vacation", but to study and to finish (finally) my college. See you in October or November! --AndyCro Click here to talk with me baby! ;) 22:12, 12 August 2009 (UTC)
The Wiki Mentor Program
Today, we are kicking off the Wiki Mentor Program. This program is designed:
- To cultivate a group of experienced wiki Mentors
- To provide better guidance to new wiki users
- To improve the skills and confidence of all wiki editors
- To improve the content and quality of all wiki articles
- To increase the sense of community
The first step, of course, is to recruit Mentors.
- Do you have experience in the eRepublik Wiki?
- Do you know how it works and the culture of the wiki?
- Do you have a few extra minutes a day to help a new editor improve his or her skills?
- Do you want to make the wiki better?
Then you should be a mentor!!! All information about the mentor program can be found here: eRepublik:Wiki_Mentor_Program and then check out the Mentor Home
- While we are getting mentors, the wiki pages for the program will be further cleaned up and appropriate user page templates will be made
- When we have enough mentors, we will open the program up to new editors
--QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 14:20, 12 August 2009 (UTC)
--adi.furk i want fallout in eRepublik
Brandenburg ---> Brandenburg and Berlin -region name change completed ----Hrvat User_talk:Hrvat 04:21, 23 August 2009 (UTC)
Schleswig-Holstein ---> Schleswig-Holstein and Hamburg -region name change completed----Hrvat User_talk:Hrvat 06:12, 24 August 2009 (UTC) Lower Saxony ---> Lower Saxony and Bremen -region name change completed -- Kuhaa|Talk to me 08:49, 24 August 2009 (UTC)
Northern Iran ---> Mazandaran and Golistan -region name change completed earlier -- Kuhaa|Talk to me 08:49, 24 August 2009 (UTC)
Apparently they changed South West Chaco back to Argentine Northwest. Could someone see to that? It seems to have been me who changed it here but I'm sure they renamed Argentine Northwest to South West Chaco back then. I couldn't access to googledoc someone posted here so I couldn't check for sure though. But -- Kuhaa|Talk to me 16:21, 27 August 2009 (UTC)
- I found the document but there's only one Argentina's region to be renamed. They must have changed their mind about it afterward. I even mentioned renaming Argentine Northeast back then. ...wtf have I done? -- Kuhaa|Talk to me 16:59, 27 August 2009 (UTC)
- Renamed it again. I don't know what I've been thinking when I first time renamed that. Though I am absolutely sure I didn't just make that up. Problem fixed. I feel ashamed. Again. :D -- Kuhaa|Talk to me 17:36, 27 August 2009 (UTC)
- I have deleted South West Chaco then and made an update of article Argentine Northwest. --AndyCro Click here to talk with me baby! ;) 13:15, 29 August 2009 (UTC)
New union needs a new wiki
Okey, I guess it's rather simple really. As Thailand and Malaysia have since the 4th of August (?) been in a union, they need a new wiki page like the one for United Netherlands. We/someone need to fix something like this but both Malaysia and Thailand have a problem, we have no one with the knowledge to do it. I am the one who writes on the Malaysian wikipage but I can't do it, I can't even remember what a template is sometimes *shame*...
So instead I wonder if it exist someone which is kind and good enough to fix this for the Union? I also wonder if the system it would be done in would be that one just rename Malaysia and Thailand to "The history of *country*" and then create a new wikipage under the name of the union?
Anyway, I can probably fix the text, it's just templates, the "country-thing" and such which is the problems.
Also important to know is the name of the union if anyone know fix it. Also you should know that the government in the union is very thankful (I can say that as the minister of defence) and that we appreciate it, after all, we try to make our citizens understand 3 good things, the IRC, the forum and the wiki. :D
--Gustavius - I don't get the Wiki... 12:40, 19 August 2009 (UTC)
Hehehe, Okey I tried to fix a thing or two so this exist now  and then it's just a renaming of Malaysia and Thailand to "The history of *country*". But I remembered some more things. A flag or coat of arms do not exist yet, we are currently "debating" it/gathering in new/more options. But we will also need a "ball" sooner or later, someone who knows how to fix that? --Gustavius - I don't get the Wiki... 12:54, 19 August 2009 (UTC)
If you noticed comments in the August Volunteers section... we do not recognize country name changes. Because the cannot be changed in the game it cannot be changed in the wiki. The United Netherlands pages have been needing a change for quite a while. The OFFICIAL information should go on the main page of what the country is called in the game. If you want a separate page for the Union name, that is fine, but you should only be explaining the name. The conquered/merged country's page should be updated to reflect its merged status. --QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 14:03, 19 August 2009 (UTC)
Okey, I will try to fix it with official necessary information on the Malaysian wikipage, and then everything which makes a country a country on the wiki, in the unions page. Btw, official necessary information is like... The president, perhaps some taxes, regions, bordering nations. Aka. a boring wiki ;)
--Gustavius - I don't get the Wiki sadly... 22:37, 19 August 2009 (UTC)
- No... All of the information should go on the Malaysia page. As that is the country's name in the game. The "Federal Republic of Southeast Asia" should be a short page that only says something like "The Federal Republic of Southeast Asia" is the unofficial name given to the countries of Malaysia and Thailand that merged as a result of the Malaysia-Thailand War. All information about Thailand before the union can be found here link to Thailand and all information regarding Malaysia and the union can be found here. --QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 17:01, 20 August 2009 (UTC)
We need to make a decision as a community about what to do about defunct companies. For example California_Farms- This company has been sold and its name changed. This wiki page is no longer valid. What should we do?
- Delete the page - it isn't valid
+1--QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 17:01, 20 August 2009 (UTC)
- Save the page - it has historical content
+1 --Belea2008 18:16, 20 August 2009 (UTC)
- What if it is a low content page? As many company pages are? --QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 16:11, 21 August 2009 (UTC)
- Suggestion...Compile the defunct company pages into one per conutry, stating their very few "background and history". --• • <font-color="amber">Prince Terence I</font> <font-color="#000000">Y Speak?! • • </font> 04:12, 22 August 2009 (UTC)
- I understand now. You were not referring to these types of pages: Aurum (as in pages that already have enough encyclopedic information). I propose PM in-game to the owner (citizen or organization) to ask him/her/it if he wants to provide information in order to expand the page. If a negative answer or no answer is given in 7 days; then I'm for deletion. Another person to ask for information could also be the Wiki contributor who started the page. --Belea2008 11:01, 22 August 2009 (UTC)
- Save the page and change it to reflect the new information
My option would be "*Delete pages that hold little to no information, keep the ones that hold more". If it's just a name and an info-box, it may as well not be in the wiki at all, but if there's some history behind it, and the page looks like it had been worked on, then I believe it would warrent keeping it, and adding it to some sort of 'historical companies' page. Pierric Bross 11:32, 22 August 2009 (UTC)
After reading your advice, this is what the plan is going to be:
- Company wiki pages with little or no content and the company no longer exists will be deleted
- Company pages with content but have had a name change, we will PM the current owner and the wiki contributor, and ask if they want to keep the page and modify it or delete it. When this is done, a note will be made on the company's talk page.
- At this point, I am not willing to deal with the business of "historical companies" considering 90% of company pages are low content. Thanks guys for all of your input!
--QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 05:06, 29 August 2009 (UTC)
Note on war
Where do you think I (we) should add this information (in what page)?
- Wars act like trading embargoes so always check the military page of your country.
- -I'd say War#Wars and Trade Embargo. I'll do it right away. -- Kuhaa|Talk to me 18:15, 21 August 2009 (UTC)
- Note: If you are a General Manager and you have products for the sale in that country, your offer will remain on the foreign market, but will not be able to update/delete that offer or post new offers.
- -This one's already in page Trade Embargo. I think it's enough. -- Kuhaa|Talk to me 18:15, 21 August 2009 (UTC)
--Belea2008 16:05, 21 August 2009 (UTC)
- Thank you, Kuhaa! --Belea2008 21:40, 21 August 2009 (UTC)
Asked approval for religion
I asked approval for my religion at Religion Policy: http://wiki.erepublik.com/index.php/eRepublik:Religion_policy
- This info was moved to the talk page of the policy ... eRepublik talk:Religion_policy. I am not sure if I will have time to review this weekend but I will get to it. However, I ask all people to read the articles and the policy and weigh in with their opinions. --QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 05:00, 29 August 2009 (UTC)
- I've read through the pages provided. If we do accept them on the wiki as an established religion, external sourcing and work on the pages will be necessary. There seems to be no evidence that this is an established religion anywhere besides in the sandbox. Add a few links to forums, newspaper articles, etc. about the religion and I will take another look, but as of right now, I would have to disapprove its inclusion as a religion. --Chris Stanwick 16:21, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
- I agree with Chris. Conception is good, but if this religion will be accepted more work on the articles will have to be done. --AndyCro Click here to talk with me baby! ;) 18:56, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
- As far as I can tell, these articles do not meet the following criteria:
- Religions must display some sort of relevance to the game.
- Religions must begin and gather followers in forums or IRC chats before a page is created in the Wiki (and show proof of believers)
Also, can you give some information where the name "Tewio" comes from? Is this something that you came up with yourself?
--QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 19:28, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
- This religion really excist in the game. Here are couple of my article`s i`ve wrote in game about it:
There`s also a political party in Singapore which is formed there by tewionist`s:
What it comes to name "Tewio", it means "The White One" in a old "secret language" i`ve personally made. When i and my comrades created this religion we didn`t wanted to name someone of us as a god and so we decided to create a "neutral" figure as our god.
I hope that these links will answer to some questions. If there`s something more you want to know i can try to get more proves that this religion really excist`s. I can give you some names of our order`s members but only couple of them has a wikiaccount.
- Having read the articles, I am more convinced that Tewionism is a political/military organization rather than a religion. It doesn't have the characteristics of a religion, nor have you provided evidence of it existing on any forum. The articles that you wrote in your newspaper do not count as evidence as it does not prove that it is an established religion. A religion must have followers/adherents and a social community in which the religion is discussed. I see you have an IRC channel, which is one step forward, but more evidence is necessary. Unless proved otherwise, I would characterize the White Lion Order as a political organization with a military branch. --Chris Stanwick 14:26, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
Missing the Korean icon. [I'm still busy with my university admission] --Mini "Template" Bill bother me! 11:13, 29 August 2009 (UTC)
- There isn't an Icon-Korea, rather Icon-North Korea and Icon-South Korea. I would suggest using the latter.--Martin23230 11:35, 29 August 2009 (UTC)
- Yeah, but somebody with sysop rights must edit languages list - I cannot since I'm not sysop.-- Grzechooo (his discussion) 13:33, 29 August 2009 (UTC)
- So South Korea? --Mini "Template" Bill bother me! 13:59, 29 August 2009 (UTC)
- MiniBill don't shot me, but I have been trying a compromise solution - both icons. If you like it, try to fix my intentions, if you don't like the idea, put one of the icons (South or North). --AndyCro Click here to talk with me baby! ;) 14:06, 29 August 2009 (UTC)
- Fixed --Mini "Template" Bill bother me! 15:25, 29 August 2009 (UTC)
- Um... Can we have the logo be South Korean please? Since RL North Koreans don't have access to internet anyways;; (I'm a RL South Korean BTW) --Peter de LusionisT Bae 22:39, 29 August 2009 (UTC)
- Yes, this should be done. North Korea in the game isn't really "Korean". Also, can we resort the order of the language menu, it looks funny. --QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 03:51, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- Mh... about reorder, ok. About the north/south icon I don't really know what would be right to do --Mini "Template" Bill bother me! 09:40, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- The eNorthKoreans wouldn't mind, it's not even their country in RL to begin with. Even the ones that ARE Korean are RL South Koreans. --Peter de LusionisT Bae 08:06, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
Ok, in the end I'm keeping south korea icon. --Mini "Template" Bill bother me! 09:46, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
Double articles, especially the long ones
While I was deleting some obsolete articles requested by deletion templates, I have found some interesting articles: User:Vaxen/Sandbox and Germany/Deutsch. On first glance, they seem quite indentical because the Vaxen create his sandbox for translation of Germany page which was nice in the beginning. But now it is not needed any more and his sandbox is quite long (20 kB). Could someone review this two articles and combine one great one for Germany/Deutsch so we can delete his sandbox? (I would be happy to put the deletion template on the sandbox before all relevant date is combined with the Germany/Deutsch article)
And also, If you find more of the double articles which you don't know what to do write here or on my talk page. Thank you --AndyCro Click here to talk with me baby! ;) 14:01, 29 August 2009 (UTC)
I broke the Brazil flag template
To fix, try editing the template and replacing the old flag with this one http://wiki.erepublik.com/index.php/File:Brazil-temflag.jpg. If that doesn't work, it'll be a job for admin, or whoever manages the software. This worked fine when I did this with the UK flag, and I can't revert. What gives? ~Rep 09:48, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- What did you broke? How to fix it? --Mini "Template" Bill bother me! 09:54, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- Here is the template in question:
Of course template should look like this except for Country - Brazil:
10:25, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- there seems to be a sudden increase in errors when new files are uploaded/updated: NewFilesErrors ----Hrvat User_talk:Hrvat 10:30, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- The wigs need to install ImageMagick on the server --Mini "Template" Bill bother me! 11:13, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- Solved. --Belea2008 14:49, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
Has wiki of eRepublik the timelines integrated? Wikimedia uses an extension called Easy Timeline, useful to arrange chronologically presidencies or stages of the game. Regards Kojie // Write me (Escribeme) 10:33, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- Interesting... Belea2008 and I had a discussion about adding this type of feature a few weeks ago to liven up the history pages. Kojie, what types of projects are you thinking about using it for? --QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 14:18, 30 August 2009 (UTC)
- Wow, extremely interesting tool that I would love to see added. I played around with it a bit trying to get it to work, but I'm the first to admit that my coding skills are virtually non-existent. Mine is a vote for inclusion of timelines. Chris Stanwick 15:20, 31 August 2009 (UTC)