eRepublik Official Wiki:Bar/Debate 11
I know all the wiki shit needs to be sorted, but once it is, a very important topic that I'd like to start covering is the current world war.
Some things I'd like to get some sort of consensus on:
- Naming - Is this World War III, an extension of World War II, or what? I vote World War III as the umbrella term.
- All the fronts - These should be treated as separate battles in the same war, in my opinion. For example, there would be an article for Romanian-Indonesian Front (WWIII) (possibly Asian Theater (WWIII)?) that would describe all the battles that took place between Romania and Indonesia.
- Important battles - Such as when the tide turned to be in favor of PEACE (I don't know what regions that occurred in) or the Battle of Novosibirsk (current battle taking place in the West Siberian Region, a high oil/high iron region of strategic importance to Romania)
- Important people - The citizen pages for important figures in this war (Alex Craciun, zocky, Han Solo, Arthk, etc) need to be expanded to reflect their importance during this overwhelming world crisis.
I feel like this is an event that is so utterly massive that people may not know how to properly contribute to the wiki regarding it. It obviously needs to be divided into smaller chunks (by front, perhaps?) and tackled by skilled but unbiased writers who know what they're talking about. And I mean writers, not people who just post battle stats in a table and think that's good enough for the wiki. I want the articles about this to be detailed and interesting so that a year from now, when PEACE and ATLANTIS might not even exist, people can look back and read about all the cool shit that happened. —Nicolae Carpathia | | Talk 23:56, 13 May 2009 (UTC)
- +1 to this. I wouldn't exactly call myself qualified to help with a project like this, but kudos to whomever eventually does. This is the kind of stuff that really needs to be chronicled properly for the posterity that'll want to read about it later, and there are obviously a lot of very capable editors here to do justice to something this...epic? --Irov Talk to me! 02:54, 14 May 2009 (UTC)
- I admit this has been interesting me since I came to the wiki, and I agree that a reform of the military coverage is necessary. Although I can't contribute much (damn exams ;) ) I will post some of idea here:
- There are three major conflicts that are being discussed;
- World War One between Hungary and Romania,
- World War Two that encompasses various conflicts such as Operation French Toast,
- World War Three that is ongoing in the Far East between Romania and Indonesia, with Iran, China and Pakistan in for good measure.
- However, the overlap between these conflicts is huge. WW1 is still ongoing, and has increased in action significantly with the Hungarian invasion of Ukraine. Is this still the First World War, or is it part of the Third World War? What falls into the Second World War category? At the moment it contains a whole collection of wars from that time. Where does the US invasion of Mexico fit in? Or the invasion of Serbia? Or the Austro-German Wars?
- I think it is time to reform the history of the New World. The fact that WW1 has now merged into WW3, somehow bypassing WW2 means that the whole thing is far too complex for numbers. In the real world the difference between the First and Second World Wars was clear, here it is not. So, after all this, what are my suggestions? Well:
- Do away with WW1, 2 & 3. The conflicts in the New World can't be classified in this way, see above. Instead, I propose combining all the ATLANTIS-PEACE conflicts since the Romanian invasion of Hungary into one War. I suggest calling it The Great War, or The ATLANTIS-PEACE War This is really the only way to categorise this huge conflict. Now, here is a brief (-ish) History of the Great War, as I see it being categorised:
- August 22, 2008 - ATLANTIS is formed out of the ashes of the Northern Alliance
- August 26, 2008 - PEACE is formed from FIST and many Mediterranean Alliance and PANAM members to counter ATLANTIS.
- August 28, 2008 - Romania invades Hungary, pitting the two alliances against each other for the first time. The Great War has begun.
- September 2008 - Hungary is concurred down to its last few regions. Slovakia is freed from Hungarian occupation. War halted due to bugs.
- October 14 2008 - eRepublik V1 Launched.
- November 2008 - PEACE forces invade Argentina; Brazil annexes Mesopotamia and Indonesia conquers two southern regions. Argentina surrenders and joins PEACE.
- November 2008 - Spain (ATLANTIS) attacks Portugal (PEACE). The only exchange of territory is the Spanish capture of previously Portuguese-held Southeast Mexico. Spain is also at war with France, Italy, Venezuela and Brazil.
- December 2008 - Spain launches an invasion of southern France, reaching the Italian border. Italy retaliates and reclaims much of the French territory.
- December 2008 - Operation French Toast: ATLANTIS members Sweden, the US, the UK and Canada launch a combines with Spain to assault France. After some initial success, the PEACE forces reclaim the initiative and invade the conquered territory. The war is a major loss for ATLANTIS, signified by the United Kingdom losing control of Belgium, which it had merged with in the first War in eRepublik history.
- December 2008 - Romania invades Russia, which had only just gained independence from Norway.
- January 2009 - Indonesia, Iran and Pakistan all declare war on each other, in order to swap territories to counter the predicted Romanian Invasion of China. Indonesia gains territory on the Indian sub-continent.
- February 2009 - The USA launches an invasion of Mexico (PEACE). After conquering much of the country, PEACE forces under the control of Portugal reclaim the lost territory and force the US out.
- March 2009 - Romania, through its Russian territories, declares war on Indonesia, which controls much of the Far East. Russia, China and India become a battle ground where the two superpowers engage.
- March 2009 - Over disputes following the Austro-German unification, the country turns away from PEACE and joins ATLANTIS.
- March 2009 - Norway attacks Romania to allow it to take its Russian territories, giving it more territories in Asia.
- April 2009 - Croatia (ATLANTIS) invades Serbia, who appeals to PEACE for help. The invasion is a success, and Bulgaria is forced to invade Serbia’s final two regions to end the war, later releasing them.
- April 2009 - Romania gives Poland control of some of its Hungarian and Ukrainian regions, allowing it to focus on the war in Asia.
- April 2009 - PEACE forces in Hungary go on the offensive, reclaiming all of Hungary’s original territories from Poland and Romania. They continue to invade into Moldavian and Ukrainian territories that had long been held by Romania.
- April 2009 - Austria is divided between PEACE countries after its liberation from Germany.
- May 2009 - South Africa launches an attempt to regain its conquered provinces from Indonesia; Brazil takes control from Indonesia and ends the uprising.
- May 2009 - Romanian forces, after almost reaching the tip of India, are expelled from the Far East. A peace treaty is offered.
- May 2009 – The United States, weakened from its loss in Mexico, invades Russian-held Siberia.
These events all seem to flow together and I think that each of these points deserves a page. The ATLANTIS-PEACE conflict could be split into:
- Invasion of Hungary
- War in Argentina
- ATLANTIS invasion of France
- US invasion of Mexico
- Romania in Asia
- Second Balkan War (Serbia)
- Austro-German conflict
- Romania forced out of Asia
- Hungarian offensive
- ...what next?
I would imagine something like the World War Two article on Wikipedia, with a Course of the War section that links to the main articles. Anyway, those are my thoughts. EDIT: My word, I wrote a lot! I am far too interested in this stuff!--Martin23230 08:40, 14 May 2009 (UTC)
- I like your idea Martin, the GREAT WAR is quite a better "name" for this events. But I must warn you that not all wars were Atlantis/Peace, like Croatia-Serbia War. This was simply war between this two countries. (Maybe there are many more examples, but I am not a soldier, so...) --AndyCro Click here to talk with me baby! ;) 16:26, 16 May 2009 (UTC)
Well here we go: User:Martin23230/Sandbox/Great War. My Magnum opus. For the past few weeks I have been attempting to rewrite history, gathering sources etc... However, I will be going to the US in a few days and I wanted to publish it before I went. It is not yet finished; specifically the Course of the war section is just paraphrased from above. However, I wanted to see what the wiki community thought of it. It is a major re-organisation of the history of the New World; you can see what I think above. However if anyone has any feelings on the subject please say. Obviously time has moved on from when I last posted, ATLANTIS has fallen and "The Great War" is over. Therefore I think it is time to review our organisation of the Past. --Martin23230 07:51, 29 June 2009 (UTC)
- +1 There is still work to do, but I like it.--AndyCro Click here to talk with me baby! ;) 13:35, 30 June 2009 (UTC)
New World War
Where are we at in the numbers? Some people say WWII, and others are saying WWIII, while others say WWIV? Which one is the new one? I'm referring to the PEACE Invasion of North America.-- malta_1990 06:52, 16 July 2009 (UTC)
- I'm back!
- This is partially what the whole issue is about. I personally think it goes like this:
- World War I - Almost Unanimous, the Romanian invasion of Hungary.
- World War II - The series of conflicts following this, most notably the ATLANTIS invasion of France.
- World War III - In the Far East, Romanian expansion into India and then being forced back again, as well as the rise of Hungary as a world power.
- World War IV - The conflicts after the fall of ATLANTIS, including the Central European War and the PEACE invasion of North America
- However most people seem to see WWII and WWIII as one war, therefore this is WWIII. This appears to be the most common view at the moment. Officially I would call this WWII, with The Great War as WWI, however this goes against the common view, and still doesn’t account for the conflicts in between.
- Basically, the New World has been in almost constant war since the very first shot in the Romanian- Hungarian War. Dividing this into separate conflicts is hard. Therefore, I would like to propose something I had been thinking about for a while – the Wiki’s first taskforce or “Wikiproject”, covering all wars and military conflicts, keeping the Military Portal and news updated and coming up with some guidelines and rules for the naming, categorising and recording of all conflicts in the New World. Unless Admin decides to pause the wars again, perhaps just before citizenship, new conflicts will keep appearing and we need to be ready as historians and keepers of the records.--Martin23230 17:19, 16 July 2009 (UTC)
- Excellent idea! This is what I think you need to do - find anyone with an interest in the wars willing to work on the project and start our first wikiproject. For more info see . Recruit through the Wiki subforum, shouts, I can put a notice in the wiki chronicle. Find out who has written war articles in the past and try to recruit them. --QJ Lincoln Talk To Me 17:38, 16 July 2009 (UTC)
- Wow, I didn't intend to cause so much trouble or re-ignite an old issue. Sorry for that, but its a little confusing. I'd be willing to chip in. PS: Your link doesn't work QJ.-- malta_1990 08:29, 25 July 2009 (UTC)
- Mostly agree with Martin23230, the world has been in constant war status except for server downtimes or some festivity. The World War nomenclature is there to describe the opening of a new major front and the division made by Martin is purrfect :) The need is to track every battle and ask to the alliance commanders, afterward, the placement of them in the world scenario to being able to assign them to a major front or an in-between skirmish. --Furio "UBW" 19:57, 27 July 2009 (UTC)
- Do we really need to call the current conflict a World War? I have been referring to it as the Great War of 2009, which is simple enough. In my personal battle stats on Chris Stanwick, I've also named a few of the Fronts/Regions to differentiate. I maintain several Google spreadsheets with information on every battle and region afflicted, and also have several notebooks with handwritten information I've compiled on the war that I am slowly adding online. I'd like to help contribute to the war articles once we have a name consensus, as all the work I put into the PEACE invasion of North America article has been undone with recent edits. Chris Stanwick 21:26, 12 August 2009 (UTC)