Congress is the main legislative body of the nations of eRepublik so becoming a Congress member is one of important steps in every politician life.
To become a candidate
To become a candidate, you must have at least 100 Experience points. There are two basic ways to reach the party page where you can put your Congress nomination. Between the 16th and 23rd of the month you can:
- Read the statement and enter a URL for a presentation on why people should vote for you. This can be a newspaper article, a forum topic, or a link to your wiki citizen page.
- Click Agree
- The screen will refresh and you will get the message: You have applied to represent your party in the congress elections. The party president will select the official candidates on the 24th.
- The Run for Congress button will be replaced with two new buttons
- Click the resign button to resign from the candidacy
- Click the Edit Presentation button to edit the URL for your presentation.
On the 24th the list for congressional candidates will be closed and the party president will have the ability to manage the position of the members on these lists, if the list has more candidates.
Only candidates for the top five parties will be allowed to run for office.
Country Presidents aren't allowed to run for Congress.
Number of Congress seats in a country or region
The maximum number of Congress members depends on the number of regions. In the most cases the the available seats are 40 (if a country has between 4 and 40 regions).
In the main menu, after accessing the 'Community' tab, a button named 'Elections' will be displayed for all citizens. This way, while you are in the New World you will only be one click away from seeing what's new in the eRepublik elections. (Note: This page is available all the time in order to see past elections results.)
When expressing your choice in Congress Elections, you will choose a party.
The old Congress members lose their positions.
Duties of Congress members
Most countries have a slightly more advanced system where Congress members can register at forums to discuss and decide on a lot more things than just sitting and voting on proposals.
Change of citizenship
A Congress member is unable to change citizenship without resigning, as you can only be a member of a political party (subsequently a Congressman) of whichever country you have citizenship in.
If you leave your party or your country, you will not lose the Congress seat. The only way to lose that sit is to resign from Congress.
- Congress elections
- Country administration
- Voting system
- Division of congress members
- Parliamentary Group Leader