Congress is the main legislative body of the nations of eRepublik so becoming a Congress member is one of important steps in every politician life.
To become a candidate
To become a candidate, you must have at least 300 experience points. There are two basic ways to reach the party page where you can put your Congress nomination. Between the 16th and 23rd of the month you can:
- Go to your party page - Click on Community - Party.
- Click the button - 150px.
- Read the statement and enter a URL for a presentation on why people should vote for you. This can be a newspaper article, a forum topic, or a link to your wiki citizen page.
- Click Agree
- The screen will refresh and you will get the message: You have applied to represent your party in the congress elections. The party president will select the official candidates on the 24th.
- The Run for Congress button will be replaced with two new buttons:
• click the resign button to resign from the candidacy; • click the Edit Presentation button to edit the URL for your presentation.
On the 24th the list for congressional candidates will be closed and the party president will have the ability to manage the position of the members on these lists, if the list has more candidates.
Only candidates for the top five parties will be allowed to run for office.
Country Presidents aren't allowed to run for Congress.
Number of Congress seats in a country or region
The maximum number of Congress members depends on the number of regions. In the most cases the the available seats are 40 (if a country has between 4 and 40 regions).
- If you applied for Congress in your party and the region from where you applied is conquered until 25th of the month at 00:00, you will lose candidacy.
You can avoid this situation if you are located in another region from your citizenship country until 25th of the month at 00:00. Once you got removed from the list, you can not be added back unless you reapply.
On the main page, above the Feeds there will be displayed a blue frame mentioning that is an election day (as well as a small blue notification pop up in the bottom left corner of the screen). Clicking on that frame/notification, you will be redirected to the voting page.
Alternatively, you can access the voting page through the menu; Community --> Elections. (Note: This page is available all the time in order to see past elections results.)
When expressing your choice in Congress Elections, you will choose a party.
You can view the list of the candidate congress members of each party.
The old Congress members lose their seats the second day after the Congress elections. That is on 27th of each month, due to the 24-hour period of the Election Review.
Duties of Congress members
Most countries have a slightly more advanced system where Congress members can register at forums to discuss and decide on a lot more things than just sitting and voting on proposals.
The Congress members will receive notification when they will get elected and whenever there's a law proposal.
Change of citizenship
A Congress member is unable to change citizenship without resigning, as you can only be a member of a political party (subsequently a Congressman) of whichever country you have citizenship in.
Losing Congress seat
The only way to lose your Congress seat is to resign from Congress, through Administration page.
If you leave your party or your country (as of changing region), you will not lose the Congress seat.
- Congress elections
- Country administration
- Voting system
- Division of congress members
- Parliamentary Group Leader
- If you applied from a region belonging to a foreign country, last region where you resided in is considered your application region.