Making the game fair and equal for everyone
ORIGINAL ARTICLE (English) - GOOGLEwritten by Gaetano_Gatto on 22nd OCTOBER 2008. Also, posted on
Copies of original article
Name of the country (language of the article) - Link to the article on eRepublik:
- Argentina (Spanish) -
- Australia (English) -
- Austria (English) -
- Belgium (English) -
- Brazil (Portuguese) -
- Brazil (English) -
- Croatia (Croatian) -
- Czech Republic (Slovak) -
- Finland (English) -
- Indonesia (English) -
- Iran (Farsi) -
- Ireland (English) -
- Italy (Italian) -
- Japan (English) -
- Republic of Moldova (Romanian) - See Romania!
- Netherlands (Dutch) - Universal eRepublik referendum
- Romania (Romanian) -
- Slovakia (Slovak) -
- Serbia (Serbian) -
- Slovenia (English) -
- Spain (Spanish) -
- South Korea (English) -
- Switzerland (Italian) - See Italy
- Turkey (Turkish) -
- UK (English) -
- USA (English) -
UNIVERSAL eREPUBLIK REFERENDUM
(14th NOVEMBER - 31st DECEMBER 2008)
The time has come! The time when eREPUBLIK POPULATION DECIDES its own way of life.
We, GAETANO GATTO, are organizing the first eREPUBLIK UNIVERSAL REFERENDUM by NOVEMBER 14th - DECEMBER 31st 2008, a poll of the entire eRepublik population on several issues about life in the game. This article is aimed to make everyone advised, to explain exhaustively each issue, TO RECEIVE YOUR SUGGESTIONS (you’ll see this article changed according to your instructions): THE REFERENDUM IS WRITTEN BY US ALL!
Bugs & ingenuous choices
Inevitably present in every not tested code, have made eRepublik economical-political SITUATION TROUBLESOME and FALSE.
Words ‘BETA VERSION’ mean ‘TEST VERSION’, that is to say, a PROTOTYPE to be used only in order to recognize and fix bugs, and to make users learned in playing. At the end of the testing period, the users’ history is reset and the product is put on the market... you can’t buy a car prototype.
REAL GAME BEGINS WHEN BUGS DON’T DISTORT RULES!
- A lot of citizens has lost PROPERTIES (houses and inventory items upon the coming of the V1, money and gold for a bug in the donation module, etc) and PRIVILEGES (wellness points for the lack of their own inventory, work continuity because of the bug in the work module, etc);
- Some countries have LOST ITS INDEPENDENCE only because of the famous bug in the war module (eHungary, on most of its regions, for example);
- eRepublik wasn’t publicized in the same size all over the world, so some countries have been CONQUERED / TAKEN OVER by countries advised about eRepublik before anyone else or more web-provided, so that they could count much more soldiers / citizens (see the 10th issue);
- Some countries have NEVER EXISTED in the game (most of the African, Asian and South American ones);
- FAKE ACCOUNTS have proliferated and several citizens have enriched dishonestly (see the 5th issue) because of gold as a prize to each citizen who invited a new one;
It’d be fair to RESET eREPUBLIK HISTORY: each citizen will be as a new-born citizen (everyone has got only a minimum amount of money, everyone has no job, zero skill points, zero (strength points, etc), each real country will have its own independence again, as when Beta version started.
Compromise Resetting ONLY HISTORY OF COUNTRIES, that is to say only eRepublik political map. It is obvious bugs and wrong choices must be CORRECTED and eRepublik must be widely PUBLICIZED ALL OVER THE WORLD before any kind of reset in eRepublik history.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO RESET eREPUBLIK HISTORY?
- YES, BUT ONLY HISTORY OF COUNTRIES
- YES, BUT ONLY CITIZENS’ HISTORY
Answering a QUIZ upon working, training or battling appears quite bizarre: eRepublik was born as a NOT TIME-EXPENSIVE GAME! The result has been a sharp decrease of working / training / battling citizens upon the quiz coming.
Compromise It’d be better to answer thematic questions (questions about weapons for a guy who works in a weapon factory, for example), questions about eRepublik game or to play hand-eye coordination games.
Its obvious users will have the possibility of skipping any aforesaid activity in order to spare their time but, in this case, they’ll receive standard salary / strength points / battle points without eventual bonus.
WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO IN ORDER TO WORK / TRAIN / BATTLE?
- JUST CLICK ON A WORK / TRAIN / BATTLE BUTTON
- PLAY HAND-EYE COORDINATION GAMES
- ANSWER A THEMATIC QUIZ
- ANSWER A QUIZ ABOUT eREPUBLIK GAME
- ANSWER A GENERAL-CULTURE QUIZ
JOB WORLD is a chaos: every WORKER can resign hourly, leaving its company without necessary workforce to produce energetically, such as every COMPANY can dismiss one of its workers hourly or decrease its salary, leaving it with no livings.
It’d be better to introduce CONTRACTS OF EMPLOYMENT (fixing duration and pay for a job relationship), so that every worker has a SECURED AND NOT-SWITCHABLE PAY for a certain period, and every company has a SECURED AND NOT-SWITCHABLE WORK FORCE for the same period.
(More complicated shapes of the employment contract may be thought after the Referendum).
It is obvious a worker/company will be fined if it doesn’t respect the contract.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO INTRODUCE CONTRACTS OF EMPLOYMENT?
eRepublik is a SIMULATION GAME
eRepublik is a SIMULATION GAME and it should be played with VIRTUAL ITEMS ONLY: it’s bleak to see users paying real money to obtain more gold or a greater inventory.
eRepublik statute affirms all citizens are equal, it is to say ALL CITIZENS MUST HAVE EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES, while now richer users in the reality have greater opportunities.
It’d be fair to obtain gold only from money market, invites (see the 5th issue) and mines and a fixed-capacity inventory for each citizen (maybe an unlimited-capacity inventory for citizens with a house, a limited-capacity one for the others).
If Admins want to earn by eRepublik, they should find no discriminatory ways (contributions by European Union, publicity banners, donations, sales of items useless for the game (like Hattrick admins do), sales of gadgets, ...).
WOULD YOU LIKE TO REMOVE POSSIBILITY OF USING REAL MONEY?
To avoid this disgust, it’d be better to give these privileges (gold, the possibility of fighting in war, ...) when invited user reaches a LONG LIFE (6 months-1 year) & a HIGH EXPERIENCE LEVEL ( - ) in eRepublik.
A solution could be found in banning accounts created / managed by the same IP address but this would penalize users with one only PC to their connections (brothers and sisters, for example).
Compromise No gold as a prize, because the presence of a friend as a new citizen is already a sufficient prize; other privileges will be given when invited user reaches a medium experience level ( - ).
WHEN WOULD YOU LIKE AN INVITE TO FRUIT PRIVILEGES (GOLD, FIGHT-IN-WAR POWER, ETC.)? WHEN INVITED USER…
- REACHES A LONG LIFE (6 MONTHS-1 YEAR) & A HIGH EXPERIENCE LEVEL ( - )
- REACHES A LONG LIFE (6 MONTHS-1 YEAR) & A MEDIUM EXPERIENCE LEVEL ( - )
- REACHES A LONG LIFE (6 MONTHS-1 YEAR)
- REACHES A MEDIUM-LONG LIFE (3 MONTHS-6 MONTHS) & A HIGH EXPERIENCE LEVEL ( - )
- REACHES A MEDIUM-LONG LIFE (3 MONTHS-6 MONTHS) & A MEDIUM EXPERIENCE LEVEL ( - )
- REACHES A MEDIUM-LONG LIFE (3 MONTHS-6 MONTHS)
- REACHES A HIGH EXPERIENCE LEVEL ( - )
- REACHES A MEDIUM EXPERIENCE LEVEL ( - )
- CREATES ITS ACCOUNT + BAN FOR ACCOUNTS CREATED / MANAGED BY THE SAME IP ADDRESS
- REACHES A MEDIUM EXPERIENCE LEVEL ( - ) BUT NO GOLD AS A PRIZE
- CREATES ITS ACCOUNT
We experienced situations where people from a populous country moved to a little one and took its political direction, leaving native people as strangers.
Every citizen should have a NOT-SWITCHABLE & UNIQUE NATIONALITY to simulate the real life and to avoid takeovers (see the 10th issue), the nationality of its NATIVE COUNTRY.
It is obvious anyone remains free of moving to any country, even without the nationality of that country.
Compromise A guy could claim nationality from a foreign country after LIVING & WORKING THERE FOR A LONG PERIOD (6 months-1 year); in this way, that guy will have not one only nationality.
WHAT KIND OF NATIONALITY WOULD YOU LIKE?
- NOT-SWITCHABLE & UNIQUE
- NOT-SWITCHABLE + POSSIBILITY OF CLAIMING NATIONALITY FROM A FOREIGN COUNTRY AFTER LIVING & WORKING THERE FOR A LONG PERIOD (6 MONTHS-1YEAR)
LOCAL POLITICAL GOVERNMENTS has been removed into the V1. It’d be better to have also local governments in eRepublik world in order to relieve national governments from decisions more proper to a local direction, more expert in issues of its reality.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE A LOCAL GOVERNMENT?
V1 GRAPHICS doesn’t let us find out clearly and quickly the amount of our pay, days when we have worked/trained, the list of our friends, the World map, the activity of other people, differently from Beta version graphics.
It’d be better to RETURN TO BETA VERSION GRAPHICS.
Compromise V1 graphics with aforesaid improvements from Beta graphics or Beta graphics with some upgrades.
WHAT KIND OF GRAPHICS WOULD YOU LIKE?
- BETA VERSION GRAPHICS
- BETA VERSION GRAPHICS WITH SOME UPGRADES
- V1 GRAPHICS WITH SOME IMPROVEMENTS
- V1 GRAPHICS
The New war module
The NEW WAR MODULE has deprived us of one of the greatest amusements in eRepublik. In Beta version, the war module was more engaging thanks to one-to-one fights and the possibility of winning medals by won fights.
Now we are ‘masons’ forced to demolish and rebuild walls instead of fighting and we have to answer a quiz correctly in order to gain medals!
It’d be better to RETURN TO BETA VERSION WAR MODULE.
WHAT KIND OF WAR MODULE WOULD YOU LIKE?
- BETA VERSION WAR MODULE
- V1 WAR MODULE
- A NEW SOLUTION FOR WAR MODULE
eRepublik wasn’t PUBLICIZED in the same size ALL OVER THE WORLD, so some countries were CONQUERED / TAKEN OVER by countries advised about eRepublik before anyone else (how is it possible very populous countries like Russia and China have been occupied in a handful of months?!) or more web-provided (there are countries where censure limits free use of internet, for example), so that they could count much more soldiers / citizens. As result, we have more and more people discouraged to play eRepublik because of the lack of their native country…
It’d be better not to allow a country to attack another one if its POPULATION RATIO (*) IS HIGHER than the population ratio of the attacked country.
Even for this reason, it’s fundamental to have a NOT-SWITCHABLE & UNIQUE NATIONALITY (see the 6th issue).
(*) A coefficient keeping count of eRepublik population from a given country compared to the real population from the same country and to the total amount of eRepublik citizens.
POPULATION RATIO = (EREP_POP * 100)^2 / (REAL_POP * EREP_TOTAL_POP)
Example: eRepuplik_total_population = 41.000
Real population : A: 4.7 millions // B: 146.4 millions eRepublik population: A: 2600 // B: 800 Population ratio: A: 0.3508 // B: 0.0011
In these conditions, A CAN’T ATTACK B!
Compromise Creating an organization as UNITED NATIONS, guarding minor countries. Admins will have to call a general election periodically with which choosing United Nations members from each country and to add a mechanism to establish economic embargoes, etc. at their disposal. This option will also help populations oppressed by a tyrannical state (look at the situation in Thailand, for example).
WHEN WOULD YOU LIKE TO ALLOW A COUNTRY TO ATTACK ANOTHER ONE?
- WHEN ITS POPULATION-RATIO IS NOT HIGHER THAN POPULATION-RATIO
OF THE ATTACKED COUNTRY
- WHENEVER IT DECIDES, BUT ONLY AFTER CREATION OF UNITED NATIONS
- WHENEVER IT DECIDES
Why do we have to limit the possibility of declaring war to neighbouring countries?
WOULD YOU LIKE COUNTRIES TO BE ALLOWED TO ATTACK NOT ONLY NEIGHBOURING COUNTRIES?
Admins have been informed because they are invited to change eRepublik according to the poll results. They will have all the time they’ll ask to listen to the community; but if they will ignore us, we invite each user to abandon the game, leaving ‘NO REFERENDUM, NO eREPUBLIK’ written on its own shout text field. None continues playing a game if it doesn’t like that game anymore. We, Gaetano Gatto, will be the first user to leave on February 1st 2009, in the event of their indifference towards us.
Presidents of all the countries, even conquered or never existed ones, and all the Party presidents have been informed because they will take care our article will be translated into the official language of their country and published on the national official newspaper. If they don’t, probably it’s convenient for them to keep their citizens/electors in the dark about the Referendum.
EVERY CITIZEN is invited to vote this article and to advise so many people as possible so that the whole eRepublik population will know the Referendum.
EVERY CITIZEN IS INVITED TO GO TO VOTE FROM 14th NOVEMBER UNTIL 31st DECEMBER 2008!
Slothful citizens aren’t worth to be citizens. Reactionary citizens are fakers, rich users or anyone with aforesaid privileges:
DON’T LET YOURSELVES DISSUADE!
We wait for your comments and suggestions in order to better referendum text.
“Rex est populus” - Thomas Hobbes
- This was written as a response to UNIVERSAL EREPUBLIK REFERENDUM - LET'S VOTE !!
that was modified the last time 3 months ago and has been voted on and discussed and Yack Yack Yack, Here it is again
- There is always someone crying foul, and reset the game, And make everyone equal, and we want our stuff back, Yack Yack Yack. And you want to impose conditions on the makers of the game and threaten them with leaving.
- Such is life people, Life is not fair, not here or in real life, you have all these great Ideas and can spout off a whole list of things that you would like to see changed to make the game more fair or easier and Yack Yack Yack.
- Talk is cheap, But dealing with things the way they are and finding and implementing new and innovative ways of levelling the playing field takes effort and action.
- You want things to change, then make changes yourself. Everyone thinks it would be a great Idea to have employee contracts between employers and workers, so make contracts and set the standards yourself, and show the administrators that you are serious. In order to be taken seriously, you have to be serious, and the way to do that takes what you are given and find out how to make it work.
- A worker / employer contract is easy, hire the workers then inform them of your standards and terms of their employment at your company. If you do not comply with your terms of employment fire them. And if they do not like the terms then they can quit. simple as that. I have been working on just such a contract and will be implementing it soon.
- It is not fair that others have so much and you have little. Well, every new player that joins the game can cry this. You are asking that restart and lose all their hard work and efforts in the game.
- You want for everyone to be born again? and everyone is born at the same time. and no one is able to use real money, nice thought but not a real bright idea, See if you do that you will all die, so what you are proposing is suicide. There will be no companies and no products to buy, like food for example or jobs to work at. Yeah sounds like a really great plan, And well thought out as well.
- You want your countries and territories back, then figure it out. Make agreements, forget them with backing from existing countries and find a way to get the job done. For example ask the world community for help, or find a country that will work with you and move your entire populace to that country and have them help you do so, by agreeing to move your entire populace there and help acquire the money to fight the war by paying taxes and making donations to do so.
- There will always be people that exploit whatever they are given, Weather it is legal or Illegal as long as people believe that they need to do whatever it takes to win. And those that believe cheating is the only way to get ahead, For those, seem to be the rules of engagement here and in real life. Is that not the attitude of the world as a whole? It is accepted and practiced by many. We look for every advantage to swindle, con or pray on the less educated to do so and then celibate our victory.
- There will always be someone that has more than you have, as long as competition and free enterprise are alive and well, it has its advantages and disadvantages just like everything else.
- An to go any further with all this and cover the list of crybaby demands and threats at this point becomes quite pointless. Because if you are not willing to invest the time and effort it takes to make in this game to make things happen and figure things out then nothing will change. So cry foul and talk all you want and stand there with your hands in your pockets and throw a tantrum.
- And keep pleading and begging for someone to do the work for you.
- So keep wasting your time pleading and begging for change from the Administrators. And wait till they change it. Like it is ever gotten them to do any of it in the past. Well, the future looks the same.
- And while you are at it show you are really to these changes that you have asked for and hold your breath till the changes are made, while you sit there in front of your keyboard and do nothing but think of new things to whine and cry about. This will surely get them making these changes right away.
- So get off your lazy backsides and quit complaining and do something. What you are doing and accomplishing at the moment is nothing but making a bunch of noise.
- The only thing constant in life is change, And the only things that you have to change is your attitude and your actions.
- You want, You want, You want. Now I don.t have to say this, but you will have to excuse me because I find it near Imposable at this point to not say it because way beyond tempting and just sums up the situation at hand of all this wanting from the Administrator and I feel is so fitting that I am going to end this Article with it in all upper case.
WANT IN ONE HAND AND CRAP IT THE OTHER AND SEE WHICH FILLS UP FASTER